Frequently Asked Questions


Is SEU accredited?

Southeastern University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate, baccalaureate, masters, and doctorate degrees.

This is the Commission that accredits SEU and authorizes the university to offer degree programs and financial aid. This is the same Commission that accredits many other institutions like University of Florida, Auburn University and Georgia Tech. You may contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Southeastern University.

What degree programs are available?

The degree programs offered at our site are listed in the “Degree Program” section of your site’s partner webpage. Click here to select your site. Each SEU partner site offers ministry-related programs, and many sites supplement these offerings with non-ministry program options that may include majors like business administration, leadership, psychology, communications, and human services. If you have questions about the specific degree programs offered at our partner site, please contact the Site Director for more information.

Is student housing offered?

SEU does not provide housing for students at partner sites. However, some church partners offer housing services as an optional benefit for participants in church-affiliated ministries. Often these options involve host homes with church families or preferred pricing with local apartment communities. Please contact the Site Director to inquire about the availability of such options with the local church partner.

Can my student receive financial aid?

The SEU partner program does afford students the opportunity to apply for financial aid. The most common financial aid awards available are the federal Pell grant, subsidized and unsubsidized student loans, the parent PLUS loan and, for Florida residents, the Effective Access to Student Education (EASE) grant. Students will receive a tentative award letter from SEU’s Office of Student Financial Services that outlines their expected financial aid for the year once the FAFSA is processed successfully. For more information about financial aid, please contact your Site Director or visit the Financial Aid FAQ’s page here.

My student has already earned college credit elsewhere. Will those credits transfer in?

Like all higher education institutions, Southeastern University has specific guidelines on credit acceptance from other colleges. Generally, SEU will accept credits from other regionally-accredited colleges; however, the transferability of credits depends on the student’s academic performance in those prior courses as well as the course equivalency into the student’s degree program at SEU. Please contact the Office of the Registrar (registrar@seu.edu) with specific questions pertaining to transfer of credits.

How does this benefit me over going to a community college?

When making comparisons between colleges (community college or otherwise), there are typically two factors that are key in the decision-making process: cost and experience. Because SEU strives to make college affordable and accessible, we have structured tuition and fees to be comparable with many community college rates. So, the key factor then is the student experience.

The partnership between SEU and the local church is designed to provide students with both a high-quality learning experience as well as an environment in which they can fully discover and develop their God-given divine design. It is an environment in which students are encouraged, strengthened and challenged academically, personally and spiritually… and an experience through which students build their individual confidence, find their professional purpose and grow as a spiritual leader.
If your desire for your student is to equip them for life beyond college, then the comparison is really no comparison at all. To better understand the experience your student will encounter through the SEU partnership program, please contact your Site Director for more information.

If my student wants to transfer, will the credits earned transfer to other colleges?

Each higher education institution sets their own transfer policies, so there is no guarantee that all credits will be accepted everywhere. However, because Southeastern University is regionally accredited, most if not all credits should transfer to other universities without issue, provided the student has successfully completed each course.

How can I change my major or add a minor?

You can change your major or add a minor by filling out the major/minor declaration form. You will need to select your major in order for the minor options to display. Please note: since tuition is charged per credit hour, adding a minor will result in additional cost and may increase the amount of time it takes you to graduate.


Do I need to submit a high school transcript if I am a college transfer student?

It depends. If you have acquired less than 60 college credits, you will need to submit a final high school transcript in order to be eligible for federal financial aid.

Do I need to submit ACT or SAT scores if I am a college transfer student?

If you have taken college-level English and math classes, then you do not need to submit scores. If you have not taken (or passed) these classes, you will need to submit scores to avoid being placed in a developmental math and English course.

Do my transcripts need to be official?

Yes, transcripts for both college and high school need to be requested from the institution and sent directly to Southeastern University at 1000 Longfellow Blvd., Lakeland, Florida 33801. Attn: Your Enrollment Counselor. All transcripts must be sealed.

Can I submit my essay and Christian character reference form online?

You have multiple options for turning these essays in:


How do I know which credits will transfer in?

Once you are accepted, the Office of Academic Advising will complete an audit of your transcripts, and you will be able to view it on the Student Information System. You can also request a preliminary degree audit through email.

When do I find out about financial aid?

After you are accepted, you will receive an award letter emailed to your SEU email within two weeks. Financial aid cannot be determined prior to acceptance.

Are extension site students eligible for the academic scholarships listed on the SEU website?

No, because extension site students receive highly discounted tuition rates, you are not eligible for institutional scholarships. These scholarships are for main campus students. Extension site students are eligible for federal aid by submitting the FAFSA.

Does Southeastern accept Florida Prepaid?

Yes, you should make your financial aid counselor aware if you have Florida Prepaid funds, and the financial aid office will guide you through the process of using these funds.

What if I accidentally applied to the main campus?

You should email admission@seu.edu and request to be changed to the extension site or regional campus of your choice.

What is the deadline to complete my application to SEU?

July 1 is the preferred deadline to complete the application, but we offer rolling admission throughout the year.

Financial Aid

What financial aid options are available?

Students at SEU extension sites and regional campuses may be eligible for federal financial aid, including grants and loans. You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to see what you may qualify for. SEU’s academic scholarships are not available to extension site & regional campus students.

How do I complete the FAFSA?

The FAFSA can be completed on [LINK]www.fafsa.ed.gov. You will first need to ensure you have an FSA ID in order to complete the FAFSA. You will use that same FSA ID annually when you complete the application. The FAFSA is available October 1st of each year for the upcoming award year. You must enter SEU’s FAFSA school code: 001521. View video tutorials here.

What if I am selected to complete the federal verification process for the FAFSA?

Please visit seu.edu/verify to complete the necessary process.

How many credit hours must I take in order to be eligible for financial aid?

Students are required to be enrolled at least half time in order to receive Federal student loans for the 16 week semester. Half-time enrollment is determined by your degree program. Most undergraduate level programs at SEU require 6 credit hours over the course of the full semester in order to be considered half time. Federal Pell Grant funds are prorated based on enrollment and do not require a particular amount of credits to qualify, but eligibility does depend on your FAFSA application. The Effective Access to Student Education (EASE) grant does require full time enrollment of at least 12 hours per semester in addition to meeting the residency and academic requirements.

How much money will I receive through financial aid?

Before students can receive personalized financial aid award information, they must complete the SEU admission process and the FAFSA. Once the FAFSA has been received and you have completed the Admission process, the Student Financial Services Office will email you your personalized award letter. In order to view personalized financial aid info, students must log in to Net Partner to check their status and complete any additional required documents. If it’s your first time logging in, you’ll need to choose “First Time User,” and then use your student ID to set up your PIN. Otherwise, use your PIN to sign in and explore your financial aid information. Watch video tutorials here.

What expenses can my financial aid cover?

Financial aid is provided primarily to cover tuition and fee costs charged by Southeastern University. However, it may also be used to cover additional program expenses included in your Cost of Attendance (COA) such as books, supplies, transportation, and living expenses.

When will my financial aid be disbursed?

In order for loan funds to disburse, Student Financial Services must first confirm all documents have been completed and half-time enrollment has been confirmed by faculty through the Office of the Registrar for each semester. Depending on your schedule, this may cause disbursement times to vary by student.

As an example, a student who is enrolled in 3 credit hours in Term A and 3 credit hours in Term B (with half-time enrollment being defined as 6 credit hours) would not have their loan funds disbursed until after enrollment for the Term B course has been confirmed. However, a student who is in 6 credits all in Term A would be eligible for loan funds to disburse after enrollment has been confirmed in Term A.

When are Federal Pell Grant funds disbursed?

Federal Pell Grant funds are not disbursed until after enrollment in the 2nd term for each semester has been confirmed and the amount of Federal Pell Grant funds can be determined for disbursement. All required documents must first be submitted.

When are Effective Access to Student Education grants disbursed?

Effective Access to Student Education (EASE) grant funds are not disbursed until after full-time enrollment in the 2nd term for each semester has been confirmed and all required documents have been submitted.

Please Note:

Due to the varied disbursement times for various funds, multiple refund checks may be required to be issued or may not create a credit balance or a refund on your student account until AFTER enrollment confirmation in the 2nd term each semester. You may need to plan ahead for expenses such as rent, transportation, and child care until the financial aid disbursement occurs.

Disbursement Examples:

Suppose that Renee is a full-time extension site student enrolled in 12 credit hours for the fall semester: 6 hours in Term A and 6 hours in Term B. She has been awarded a Federal Unsubsidized loan, the FRAG, and Federal Pell Grant funds. The Federal Unsubsidized loan would disburse AFTER enrollment has been confirmed for Term A because she will reach half-time enrollment at that point in the semester. The Federal Pell Grant funds and FRAG funds would then both be disbursed AFTER enrollment is confirmed for Term B and thus may not end up creating a credit balance until that time.
Victor is a part-time extension site student enrolled in 6 credit hours for the fall semester: 3 hours in Term A and 3 hours in Term B. He has been awarded a Federal Unsubsidized loan and Federal Pell Grant funds. The loan will disburse AFTER enrollment has been confirmed for Term B because he will reach half-time enrollment at that point in the semester. The Federal Pell Grant funds would then be disbursed AFTER enrollment is confirmed for Term B and thus may not end up creating a credit balance until that time.


Note that the typical disbursement timeframe is 1-2 weeks after the end of the add/drop period or start of each term to allow for enrollment confirmation from faculty and the Office of the Registrar.